Monday, March 9, 2009

How can we be grateful when under stress??

A number of years ago when I was going through a challenging divorce, my very good friend Ardith Bissinger called me with a profound, albeit challenging , thought: "If you can just be grateful today for one thing that is going well, even with all the pressure you're under, your day could change in an instant!"

I thanked her and hung up the phone, not sure if I even wanted to try what she had suggested. A few hours went by and I decide to sit and write the one thing I was grateful for.

With my dog Kona sitting peacefully next to me, I smiled at her and began to write a list that had to include at least 50 things I was grateful for that day!!!!

Within 30 minutes my attitude had shifted so dramatically that I pulled out the manuscript for my book "Slow Down" and wrote more that afternoon than I had in the previous 2 weeks.

The feeling of gratitude for what we have right now, not what we want, but truly what we have in this moment is the fuel for greatness. It's the energy source that is just waiting to be tapped.

But here's the key: For it to be truly powerful it must be put in writing.

Keeping it in your brain offers less than 1/10th the power of those same items/thoughts you are grateful for than when you put it on paper.

So, let's go. Right now..................=)

Slow Down.

Love, peace....David Essel www.talkdavid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment